Bayeux M10 Wolverine Tank Destroyer

The Sherman tanks 75mm gun could not penetrate the frontal armour of a German Panther or Tiger tanks. The 76.2mm gun fitted to the M10 Wolverine had the same problem until special high velocity armour piercing HVAP rounds were issued. It was effective against most other German tanks and armoured vehicles.

Surviving M10 Wolverine Tank Destroyer used in Normandy during D-Day

M10 Wolverine Tank Destroyer outside the Bayeux Memorial Museum of the Battle of Normandy


The four tanks at the Bayeux Memorial Museum of the Battle of Normandy are exhibited outside the Museum near the car park. The British and Commonwealth Cemetery is on the other side of the road. It holds the graves of 4,000 men. Both the Military Cemetery and the Museum are on the road called Boulevard Fabian Ware in Bayeux.

This road is part of the ring road around Bayeux that was built by the British Royal Engineers in June to enable the troops, tanks and supply vehicles to get to the battlefront quickly and avoid having to struggle through the narrow streets of the city of Bayeux. Be aware that the museum closes for lunch. You can still see the tanks as they are outside even if the museum is closed.

M10 Wolverine Tank Destroyer Bayeux Memorial Museum of the Battle of Normandy

The Musee de la Bataille de Normandie M10 Wolverine Tank Destroyer


The M10 Wolverine was armed with a 3-inch (76.2mm) M7 Gun that could fire high explosive HE shells as well as armour piecing AP rounds. It could provide artillery support as well as act as a mobile tracked anti-tank gun. The crew were provided with cal.50 inch (12.7mm) Browning M2HB machine gun that affixed to the top of the turret. Its protective armour ranged in thickness from 9mm to 57.2mm.

It was powered by a General Motors 6046 diesel (conjoined twin 6-71s) engine that produced 375 hp. This gave the M10 Wolverine a top road speed of 32 mph (51 km/h). It had an operational range of 186 miles (300 km). It had a crew of 5: commander, driver and three gunners. It was produced between 1942-43 and 6,706 were made. It was used right up to the end of the war.

M10 Wolverine Tank Destroyer outside the The Musee de la Bataille de Normandie

The M10 Wolverine Tank Destroyer was based on the M4 Sherman Tank chassis

It appears that after the war this M10 Wolverine was shipped back to England where it was purchased by the company Pounds Shipowners and Shipbreakers Ltd of Portsmouth for scrap metal. It was rescued from their Portsmouth scrapyard, restored and mounted on a concrete plinth that is surrounded by a low hedge. The engine covers at the rear of the M10 are not original. A large metal plate has been welded over the engine compartment.

M10 Wolverine Tank Destroyer in Bayeux

The longer gun on the M10 Wolverine Tank Destroyer need a counterweight at the rear of the turret

D-Day 1944 books